Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Ready-to-Go Guac

Ready-to-Go Guac

I love me some guacamole.  But I like my guacamole full of cilantro, red onion, jalapeno, salt, and lime, and as I am not what you would call a neat cook, I do not like what the involved process of mincing, squeezing and mashing does to my kitchen:

Mess

So I'm left with the choice of making a large batch and fighting against it all turning brown, or cleaning this mess up every time I get a hankering.

No more.  I decided to try prepping a big batch of all the mix-ins, but keeping it separate from the avocado and just mashing a spoonful into a ripe avocado whenever I want some fresh guac.  It worked surprisingly well for my first try - the proportions still need a little tweaking, but I love the idea and it seems like the mix will keep and freeze well.

You could easily do this with whatever flavors you like in your guac - tomatoes, chiles, spices, go nuts.  You'll have to play with the amounts to get the proportions just right, but it's much less work than chopping everything up each time.



Ready-to-Go Guac


Ingredients
  • 1 cup cilantro leaves, packed
  • 1/2 cup red onion, roughly chopped
  • 2 medium (4" long) jalapenos, seeded and roughly chopped
  • juice from 1 lime
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • ripe avocados, as needed
Directions
  1. Combine all ingredients except avocado in a miniature food processor, chopper, or blender.
  2. Pulse until everything is finely minced and combined, pushing any stray cilantro down into the mix.
  3. To prepare, scoop the flesh out from 1 ripe avocado.  Mash with 1 tablespoon of the mix with a fork until mostly smooth, leaving some bigger chunks of avocado for texture.
This makes about 1 cup of mix, enough for about 16 avocados.  Will keep in a sealed container in the fridge for about a week, or can also be frozen and thawed later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hits