Monday, January 11, 2010

Orange-Soy Broccoli



It doesn't happen often, but sometimes, I get tired of raw broccoli with hummus.  Wondering what else to do with the two stalks of broccoli in my produce box this week, I stumbled across this fabulous little recipe on VegWeb.com, which is one of my go-to sources when I'm having a "What the heck do I do with this vegetable?" moment.

Normally, I'm not a fan of cooked broccoli, but this is a delicious side dish, and chock-full of the kind of texture and flavor that makes my mouth go mmmmmm.  I actually had to stop myself from eating the whole thing in one sitting.  Just try it... you'll see.



Orange-Soy Broccoli
Adapted from Broccoli with Orange Peel and Walnuts on VegWeb.com
Ingredients
  • 2 c. broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 1 orange
  • 1/2 c. pecans or walnuts
  • 1/2 tbsp. finely minced ginger
  • 1 tbsp. soy sauce, preferably low-sodium; if regular, use less
  • 1/2 tbsp. pepper
  • vegetable oil for sautéing
Directions
  1. Peel the orange in 1" strips using a vegetable peeler.  Remove any white pith from the inside of the peeled strips by scraping with a spoon.  Save the orange; you'll need the juice momentarily.
  2. Heat a 12" skillet, with enough oil to coat the bottom, over medium heat.
  3. Sauté the strips of orange peel for a couple minutes, just until the edges begin to brown.  Be careful not to burn.
  4. Add the ginger, and sauté another 30 seconds or so.
  5. Turn the heat up to medium-high.  Add the broccoli and pecans, cooking until the pecans get toasted and the broccoli just begins to turn soft and bright green.  Don't overcook the broccoli; you still want it nice and crunchy.
  6. Toss in the soy sauce and pepper to taste.
Makes 3-4 servings of broccoli.  Best when served right away, but can be saved and served later either hot or chilled.



Trust me, even the broccoli-haters in your family will like this crunchy, citrusy side dish.  The nuts compliment the texture of the broccoli beautifully, and the crispy orange peel pieces are a delight.

Happy eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hits