If I cared enough about football to watch the Super Bowl, this would be what I'd eat during it! It's a spicy, creamy bean dip with chunks of cool avocado throughout that combines to a perfect bite on a crispy tortilla chip.
Cheezy Bean & Avocado Dip
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour (or any type of flour, really)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp ground oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup unsweetened nondairy milk
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1/2 tsp light miso
- 2 tbsp minced fresh or dried cilantro
- 1 can (or 1-1/2 cups cooked) pinto beans, drained & rinsed
- 1/2 cup hot salsa (I recommend 505 brand)
- 1 ripe avocado, cut into small chunks
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, nutritional yeast, and all the spices through the cayenne pepper.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Whisk in the flour mixture, and cook until lightly toasted and fragrant.
- Slowly whisk in the nondairy milk. Heat until bubbly, whisking constantly and making sure to scrape the pan with a spatula to prevent burning.
- Once the cheese mixture is thick, reduce heat to medium-low and stir in the mustard, miso and cilantro.
- Add the beans to the pan. Using a potato masher or a fork, smash the beans into the cheese until they're relatively smooth. Scrape the pan repeatedly or they'll stick.
- Stir in the salsa and avocado chunks. Serve hot!
Makes about 3 cups of dip. Serve with fresh tortilla chips.